LESSON SIX (6): DEDICATION [OCTOBER 8TH, 2017]
OPENING PRAYER: Almighty father, help me to do your will at all times.
BIBLE PASSAGE: 2 Corinthians 11: 22-31
22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.
23. Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
24. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26. In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27. In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
28. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
29. Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
30. If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities.
31. The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not.
Teacher’s to note the text Review.
MEMORY VERSE: “Jesus saith unto them, my meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work” John 4:34.
LESSON INTRODUCTION: Dedication is an act of setting apart or consecration of a thing or being to a deity. Christians are expected to be devoted wholly and earnestly to God and purpose for which He has called them. Our Lord Jesus Christ was dedicated to His course for living, so also were the Prophets and Apostles of old (John 4:34). You too must prove to God that you are dedicated to Him.
2 Corinthians 11:22-31.The eleventh chapter of 2 Corinthians shows practical examples of the cost of dedication. Apostle Paul presented his unbeatable credentials in V.22-23 as Hebrew, as an Israelites, as a seed of Abraham and as a minister of Christ. Those who carried these kinds of credentials, humanly speaking, were exclusively respected in their society. They should have access to the High Priest and the Authority- Act 25:21-23. Therefore, nobody could maltreat them. However, Apostle Paul narrated his long ordeal as if he was nobody. He was beaten several times. He suffered imprisonments, perils of robbers, several fasting, accusation from false brethren, etc , 2 Cori. 11:28-33. He became weak for the weak, he was burnt by fire of offences and glorified in the things which concerned his infirmities. 2Cor.11:28-33. He submitted himself to this hardship for Christ’s sake and did not accuse God for his travail, rather he blessed the Lord, “father of our lord Jesus Christ which is blessed for ever more” 2Cor.11:31. What a life dedicated to the cause of the cross.
LESSON OUTLINE 1: What Is Dedication?
i. It is the yearning desire in Christians which makes them to pay all costs to do the work of God perfectly. 2 Cor. 12:15
ii. Dedication keeps the Christian standing and willing to do more when present assignment has not been completed and when in actual fact other fellows are tired. Eph. 6:13
iii. Dedication propels believers to pray, watch, fast often and die daily for the sake of Christ and his love for the kingdom assignment. 1thes.5:17; 1 cor. 15:31, 2 cor11:14-18
iv. Dedication is the believer’s wheel of progress that pushes him forward in patience till victory when other fellow would have tired. Phil.3:113-14; Hebrew 12: 1.
Class Activity 1: Identify those actions you can observe in your local parish to show whether people are committed to Christ or not.
LESSON OUTLINE 2: It Calls For Self Discipline
i. Dedication calls for high degree of self-discipline or self-control.
ii. To be self-discipline is to remain on your course when others are calling it quit. 2Cor. 9:24-27.
iii. Self-discipline keeps a fighter on the firing line or battle field until battles are won and remain steadfast when battles are now over. Rom 8:37-39; Phil 1:24-27.
Iv. Self-discipline helps the dedicated believer To control his passion, tongue and flesh to enable him/her finish strong. Prov 16:32; James 3:2, Rom 6:12.
Class Activity 2: What role does self-discipline play in a successful Christian life?
Self-discipline is a vital tool for dedication.
Christ requires from every believer commitment to the race. Such commitment has a huge cost which is attached and can only be paid through self-discipline.
What is the role of self-discipline in dedication?
Father, help me to be self-disciplined.
Help me to remain focused and committed to Christ.
Identify role does self-discipline in nation building.